Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Roadside South Memphis Barbecue - Dr. Bar-B-Que

I was driving down Elvis Presley Boulevard in South Memphis recently when I spotted a traveling barbecue rig advertising itself as Dr. BBQ.  The converted school bus and giant smoker on buggy springs were impossible to miss, sitting on the side of the road just north of Brooks Road, so I did a quick U-turn after driving past to check it out. I'm glad I did.




Once I pulled up I quickly located the menu board next to the door on the side of the bus facing the street. There was a nice selection of very reasonably-priced food and I opted for the pulled pork plate with potato salad and slaw.


The barbecue on the plate was served as a sandwich, instead of the standard bread-on-the-side style. I just used a fork to eat the meat out of the sandwich and avoid the bread. The meat itself was delightfully smokey and full of flavorful bark. Everything was well-seasoned, with the peppery mustard slaw being another highlight of the meal.


I ended up being thoroughly satisfied and impressed with the $7 meal I'd grabbed on the the side of the road. If you see the good "doctor" parked anywhere around town don't hesitate to stop and get your pork prescription filled.


9 comments:

  1. I have eaten World Famous Dr. BBQ and it is delicious.. If you haven't tried it you don't know what you are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best I've ever eaten. Way to go Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're from Texas. Never had cole slaw on a barbeque sandwich, something different but very good. When ever we are in Memphis we will be eating at World Famous Dr. Barbeque.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best way I can describe the barbeque from the doctor is that it is like barbeque crack because people go crazy over this stuff. When you taste, you'll see why......facts and not hype!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We found the Dr. on Winchester. The set-up is the bus. Really enjoyed the food. Every bite was great

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the format to your blog. Is this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent high quality writing, it is rare to peer a nice weblog like this one these days..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular post! It’s the little changes which will make the most important changes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are no strings attached, the focus really is on the food, Los Angeles Catering

    ReplyDelete