Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Convenience Store Soul Food - Gary's Market

I recently got a tip from a reader that I needed to check out Gary's Market on Getwell down near the Mississippi state line. Here in the South convenience stores sometimes contain surprisingly-good fresh cooked food so I made a mental note to try it the next time I was down that way.


There isn't anything outside Gary's that would indicate it has anything other than the standard gas station assortment of fried crud under a heat lamp. But once you are inside you will notice a cafeteria-style counter at the back with a line of people at it. Like the nearby Tom's Bar-B-Q, Gary's mainly draws its customers from the surrounding industrial area and it keeps the line moving fast to get them back to work on time.


I went for pork neckbones, cabbage and turnip greens. After your order is put together it gets wrapped in a clingy plastic film. That does a good job of keeping all the juice in the container to avoid a mess but I noticed that the staff even wraps up burger and fry combos like that, which seems like it would turn the buns and fries into a soggy mess if someone had far to drive before they started eating.


Since there aren't any tables or chairs in Gary's I ended up eating in my work vehicle so the plastic wrap and plastic bag were helpful to me since I was able to spread them out on my console to catch any spills while I ate. Everything was good and the portions were huge, especially considering the $5.99 pre-tax price. The neckbones were some of the meatiest neckbones I've ever seen and the greens had plenty of meat in them too. And everything was well-spiced to the point I didn't my eating without the standard soul food condiments of Louisiana Hot Sauce and Bruce's Green Hot Pepper Sauce available.

The line at Gary's moved so fast that I didn't even realize it serves barbecue until I picked up a menu while I was checking out at the cash register. I'll be sure to try it the next time I am down there. The daily specials for plate lunches feature an impressively wide variety of food to choose from. There is also a biscuit-centric breakfast menu.
Gary's Market on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on another great review. Gary's sounds similar to another convenience store that's closer to you. Toarmina's (located on Chelsea Ave.) serves great Soul Food and breakfast. This isn't just my opinion, but also for many others. It's ranked #2 (behind Jerry's Sno Cone) in its ZIP code (38108) on Urbanspoon. I think you'll like it.
    I reviewed it when I first started blogging. Unfortunately, I didn't do it justice in my poorly written review (something that one of my "fans" called me out on). I hope to write about it again, and that you will do so too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

      Delete