Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Perfect Double Cheeseburger - Tops


A double cheeseburger from Top Bar-B-Q is a case study in simple perfection. Two patties of fresh ground beef from Charlie’s Meat Market on Summer, seasoned with salt and pepper, dripping with grease and covered with cheese. I always order mine “mustard, all the way,” which gives me mustard, lettuce, tomato, pickle and onion. It isn’t some big, fancy steakhouse burger, but it isn’t fast food either. You’re going to be waiting a few minutes while it’s cooked to order, but it will be worth every second of the wait.



There are 14 Tops locations in Memphis, including one a few blocks from my house. It’s my standard go-to anytime I want a grab a burger. At less than five dollars, it makes you wonder why anyone ever orders a fast food burger in this town.

Note: While Googling Tops for this post, I came across this excellent blog by a fellow Memphian who is on a mission to find the city's absolute best burger: http://www.bestmemphisburger.com/  (In my humble opinion, the Spicy Smokehouse Burger at the Half-Shell is unbeatable)

Also, for more information on the Jackson Avenue Tops location, read this later entry from my blog.

Tops Bar-B-Q on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the mention! I'll certainly add Half-Shell to my list to try. I couldn't imagine eating anything other than the Monte Christo there, but I'm always up for a good burger. You ought to hook into Urbanspoon and put the Spoonbacks on your posts. It will help increase your exposure and hits. You'd be surprised how much traffic come from that site and its apps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i eat a lot of these burgers from the Jackson/ N. Watkins location. usually about 3 am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackson and Watkins is the one near my house, but I thought it was closed at 3 a.m. If I'm wanting a burger from that stretch of Jackson that late, I'm going to Alex's.

    ReplyDelete